You don't have to travel far to enjoy the tremendous flavors from The Big Easy. A Mardi Gras themed open house is a great way to get friends and family together and indulge in the classic Creole and Cajun flavors New Orleans is so well known for.
During Mardi Gras, our general rule of thumb is to opt for crisp, refreshing whites and fruit-forward reds. The goal is to find wines that complement the flavors of the meal and avoid wines that compete for your taste bud's attention. Below is a list of outstanding, food-friendly wines paired with our favorite Mardi Gras dishes.
- Couly-Dutheil Chinon Les Chanteaux is a beautiful Chenin Blanc from the Loire Valley, it has a slight earthiness and a touch of minerality that pairs beautifully with Shrimp Bisque.
- Clara Vineyards Pinot Grigio hails from on of the best areas of the Veneto region, it is a bright wine with nice acidity that makes it a great match for Creole Shrimp with Garlic and Lemon.
- Domaine Schieferkopf Gewurztraminer is an expressive and aromatic white from Alsace, this wine's enticing flavors make it the perfect wine to pair with Chicken and Okra Gumbo.
- Kumeu River Estate Chardonnay is a world class white produced in New Zealand, it has a rich, silky texture that makes it a great catch with CatFish Po'Boys.
- Fattoria Zerbina Bianco di Ceparano Albana Secco is a remarkably delicious white, fresh citrus flavors are surrounded by bright acidity making it a phenomenal match for Saffron Shrimp Risotto.
- Pomar Junction Fiesta Red is a festive blend from Paso Robles, lush red fruit and peppery notes play well with savory flavors found in Jambalaya.
- Renardat-Fache Vin du Bugey-Cerdon Rose is a gorgeous sparkling rose from Savoy, ample acidity balances the slightly sweet nature of this wine making it an ideal mate for the spicy cayenne flavors in Shrimp Etoufee.
- Walden Cotes du Roussillon Red comes to us from Languedoc Roussillon, jubilant red fruit and soft tannins make this blend a fabulous match for a hearty Sausage Gumbo.
- Colline de L'Hirondelle Carignane "1515" is another great red from Languedoc Roussillon, it is an irresistibly juicy red with just enough acidity to cut through the salty flavors in Red Beans and Rice.