.

New CT Law Requires Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Homes

Carbon monoxide (CO) is the number one cause of poisoning death in America. It is an odorless, invisible, and an extremely dangerous gas, which can be given off by the most common appliances in your home or even a car in an attached garage. You cannot see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. When appliances that burn fuel are maintained and properly used, the amount of CO produced is usually not hazardous. However, if appliances are not working properly or are used incorrectly, dangerous levels of CO can result. 

All owners of older one-and two-family homes in Connecticut will be required to have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in their houses. The new state mandate affects homes built before October 2005 and becomes the law on Jan. 1, 2014. Newer homes already are required to have the devices installed.

Carbon monoxide poisoning usually happens when heating sources such as furnaces, space heaters or generators aren't working properly and build up carbon monoxide in areas that aren't well-ventilated, according to a report. The result is toxic; carbon monoxide robs the body of oxygen, and can be fatal within minutes of high levels of exposure.

Hundreds of people die accidentally every year from CO poisoning caused by malfunctioning or improperly used fuel-burning appliances. Even more die from CO produced by idling cars. Carbon Monoxide Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors help you identify when there is a problem, so you can quickly evacuate your home.

Sellers of homes built before October 2005 will have to provide an affadavit that the detectors have been installed or credit the buyer $250 in lieu of installation. And just like smoke detectors, the batteries should be changed twice a year.
Here is a link recently from NBC Connecticut that gives you more information on the new Connecticut Law for 2014. 
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/on-air/as-seen-on/Troubleshooters-CO-Detectors_Hartford-236141541.html

So please go out and install a carbon monoxide detector in your home...if you have not already. Spreading this important message saves lives!

Janine Vairo is a Real Estate Agent at Kelly Associates, Real Estate Inc. located at 780 Boston Post Road in Darien CT. She can be reached at 203.621.0998 or janine.vairo@kellyrealestate.com.

Janine blogs about trends in the real estate market and home decor. Follow her on Patch and subscribe to receive new posts and like her on Facebook.

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »