You made that New Year's resolution to get fit for 2014. But it's time to make another one: to keep your valuables safe from theft when you're out and about working out.
As in many other communities, thieves have struck at gyms and fitness studios in Milford, so the Milford Police Department has some ideas:
- Limit the amount of property you bring with you. Especially credit cards, cash and personal identifying information.
- Have a list of credit cards with contact numbers to cancel cards available to you if a theft does occur. Timely reporting is critical.
- Secure your locker with a durable lock and consider additional locking methods such as placing a lock on your gym bag or a cable lock securing your gym bag to the clothes hanging rod inside the locker.
- Consider keeping a pouch with you containing personal items while working out.
- Consider securing items in your trunk before arriving at the gym. Thieves will watch customers’ activities in parking lots for opportunities.
- Keep your car key with you while working out. A thief can use your car alarm to find your vehicle and then enter it.
- Notify employees and police of any suspicious activities in the parking lots and locker rooms.